A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray Gemma Doyle is sent from her loving and warm childhood home in India to a finishing school in London after the death of her mother. There she must learn to cope and navigate through friendships with her classmates, who are from high-born London families. While at school, Gemma is followed by a stranger who gives her confusing warnings, discovers that her mother's death may not have been what it seems, and realizes that she may have frightening and exciting powers of her own. Check out the book from our library. You can find it in our paperback section under PB F BRA. Watch the book trailer below and check out the publisher's and author's websites.
http://www.libbabray.com/City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau

The City of Ember is an underground city that was built 200-years ago and it is the only place where there is light in a dark world. Lina and Doon have reached the age of 12 and begin working. Lina wants the sought after messenger job, but ends up drawing the dreaded pipeworks labourer. However, things may change when her friend Doon draws the messenger card and asks Lina to trade jobs! Doon thinks he fix the generator that keeps the lights on in the City of Ember. However, Lina and Doon's fate may change as Lina thinks she may have actually found a way out of the city! This action packed book can be found in our paperback section under PB F DUA. Continue the story with People of Sparks, Prophet of Yonwood, and the newly released Diamond of Darkhold.
Website Links for the City of Ember series and movie are:
http://www.randomhouse.com/teens/booksofember/home.html
http://www.cityofember.com/
This is a pretty good book! I'd rate it about 7.8 out of 10 (I'm a pretty hard marker...but it still gets a b+ from me!)
ReplyDeleteThere's a recent movie adaptation out that I haven't seen yet...
This is a pretty good book. I like that there was both a male and female character lead. I'd give it a b+ (I'm kind of a hard marker).
ReplyDeleteThere's a movie adaptation out too...but I haven't seen it yet!
I never read the book but it sounds really interesting. I'd like to read that! Hey Ms.Friesen where is the word of the day and your top 10 book ratings. I couldn't find them.
ReplyDeleteI'll post a new Top 10 book ratings soon. The word of the day is at the top of the blog under the Merrium Webster Dictionary. Thanks for checking things out. If you have any suggestions let me know. By the way, both books are very good. I will be posting a new Check Out this weekend.
ReplyDeleteWow the clip looks thrilling! I wonder what the book is like!
ReplyDelete